Venue: Copthorne Orchid Hotel, Tanjung Bungah, Penang
Over 800,000 people die by suicide every year i.e. one person every 40 seconds
Every suicide is a tragedy that impacts family, friends and the community long after a person has died.
The anguish and despair following the suicide of a loved one can be overwhelming.
Below is an infograph from World Health Organization (WHO) on Suicide Facts and Figures.
These deaths are preventable.
Two questions that we repeatedly ask are WHY and WHAT could we have done to stop them?
At a national level, knowing that we continue to have high suicide rates for certain age groups raises the same questions; WHY? and as a nation, WHAT can we do about it?
Suicide prevention is complex and there is no quick fix. It requires a comprehensive multi-sectoral approach involving the Government, civil society & the media.
Working with mental health experts like doctors & caregivers as well as families, schools, communities and corporations, Befrienders Penang plans to look at what works while focusing efforts on areas that need more attention.
We are indeed privileged and honored to team up with Intellect Worldwide Sdn Bhd for this campaign of Preventing Suicide under the theme – Connect, Communicate, Care. With this public campaign we hope to emphasize that every member of society can be involved in the prevention of suicide & the reduction of suicidal behavior.
Event Theme: Connect, Communicate, Care
To increase public awareness of mental illness as a brain disease and to eliminate any stigma associated with the ailment.
Improve care of people with mental disorders associated with suicidal behaviors through early intervention/management.
Promote awareness of support systems and early/safe reporting of suicidal behaviour & self-harm.
Involve community to detect and restrict access to the most common means for suicide e.g. surveillance at highrise buildings, bridges, controls on pesticides, weapons and certain medications.
Here are a few news coverage to our Press Conference of the event:
- China Press coverage: http://goo.gl/5ST3c5
- Oriental Daily news coverage: http://www.orientaldaily.com.my/north/bm4021
8.30 - 9.00 am: Arrival of Guests & Registration
9.00 - 9.10 am: Introduction of Agenda & Theme by MC
9.10 - 10.10 am: Key Note Address by Consultant Clinical Psychiatrist,
Dr. Prem Kumar Chandrasekaran
Topic: CONNECT, COMMUNICATE, CARE
10.10 - 10.40 am: Tea Break
10.40 am - 12 noon: Panel Discussion and Q&A session.
12.00 - 12.10 pm: Presentation of souvenirs to Speakers & Host
12.10 - 1.10 pm: Lunch
1.10 - 3.10 pm Workshops on Depression, Suicide, Anxiety, Stress and Coping Skills in 4 Different Languages (BM, English, Mandarin & Tamil)
- Depression & Suicide in English - Dr Gayathri Kumarasuriar
- Anxiety & Stress in English - Dr Lynne Yong
- Anxiety & Stress in Mandarin - Ms Yeoh Si Han
- Depression & Suicide in Mandarin - Dr Teh Ewe Eow & Ms Tan Chwee Yeng
- Anxiety & Stress in BM - Dr Mohd Jamil Yaacob
- Anxiety & Stress in Tamil - Dr Jeyashree Srinivasan
3.10 - 3.30 pm: Distribution of goodie bags & End
How to register and make payment:
Please register and make payment and get your ticket at http://worldsuicidepreventionday2016.peatix.com
- Early bird(before 31 July 2016)*: RM 15
- Normal ticket ( 1 August 2016 till 31 August 2016)*: RM 30
- *First-come-first-serve basis.
Bank into our HSBC Current Account No. 371-001876-001
Account name: Befrienders Penang
And inform us accordingly at email@example.com with the payment slip and completed Registration Form attached to your email.
Once payment is received, confirmation and further information will be emailed to your registered email address. Please check your spam/junk mail too.
How can I pay for my Registration to World Suicide Prevention Day 2016 Forum & Workshops?
- Online ticketing – Paypal/major credit cards accepted.
- Debit cards can only be used if activated for PayPal transactions – please call your bank to activate your debit cards if you wish to use them for online processing.
- We are aware that there is a new ruling where debit cards without 3D authentication are disabled for online transactions. In that case, you will need to contact your bank directly to enable payments on PayPal. Or you may wish to use a credit card for purchase instead.
- Also, if you have a debit/credit card linked to a PayPal account, you will not be able to use that card on PayPal without logging into the PayPal account.
- The 1 USD charge is a temporary authorization used by PayPal to verify the buyer’s credit or debit card. This temporary authorization will automatically be removed from your credit card statement.
- If the above doesn’t solve the troubles please contact Peatix Malaysia Support directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I have to register an account on Peatix site to purchase the tickets?
- You are required to register an account on the Peatix site in order to purchase tickets.
Are there any additional charges?
- There will be no additional charges on top of the ticketing price.
How do I collect my ticket(s) after I purchased them online or offline?
- On the day of the event, you are required to present the following:
- The unique Peatix QR code (your ticket for entry). Get your QR code from the Peatix app (http://ptix.co/iOS or http://ptix.co/Android) or from web browser after completing your online payment.
- The original purchaser does not need to be present as long as the QR code is presented.
- As such, please ensure that your QR code is kept securely. The organiser and ticketing agent are not accountable if your QR code is compromised.
- For offline payment participants, you are required to present your email confirmation from Befrienders Penang on the day of the event.
On the day of the event, Saturday 10th September 2016:
- Ticket(s) collection/redemption will start promptly at 8.30am in the Ballroom of Copthorne Orchid Hotel, Tanjung Bungah, Penang. Programme starts at 9.00am sharp.
Am I allowed to take pictures or record videos during the workshops and forum?
- All recording devices, inclusive of sound and visuals, are strictly prohibited. We reserve the right to remove those caught doing so from the hall without refund.
Can I get a refund or exchange my tickets?
- Please note that no refunds will be entertained under any circumstances. Once the transaction has been paid for, no refunds, no cancellations or exchanges will be entertained. Please ensure that the number of tickets you wish to purchase is correct before finalizing the transaction.
- Note that all prices mentioned in the FAQ and the Befrienders Penang website are in Ringgit Malaysia (RM).